Small Group Questions – June 4, 2017
Life and Light: Following Jesus
Part 34: The Restoration of Peter
- In what area of your life do you have a tendency to compare yourself to others?
- Where do you go to get away from it all? Do you generally experience Jesus meeting you in that place?
- Read the Key Idea and the Key Passage aloud. What caught your attention in this week’s scripture or message?
- What do you see in the miracle of the fish? What would it have felt like to go from catching nothing to abundance? In what way can you apply this passage to the work we set out to accomplish?
- How did they know it was Jesus standing on the shore? What helps you recognize Jesus’ presence in your everyday life?
- What are the disciples being asked to believe or do in order to follow Jesus?
- John wrote this at the end of the first century when Christians’ were experiencing severe persecution. Why do you think John included these last few stories in his gospel? What hope does this offer the church today? • In what way can your life become a living expression of Jesus’ love for the world?
SPIRITUAL PRACTICE—Celebrating Reflecting back on our small group study of the Gospel of John:
- What have you appreciated most about our small group this year?
- How has your understanding of the gospel deepened or expanded over the course of this study and small group experience?
- What insight or practice has deepened your relationship with Jesus this year?
- Is there an image or verse in John that has been especially meaningful for you this year?
- How is your life different as a result of studying John? What changes have you seen in yourself (a new attitude, behavior or desire) that reflects your spiritual growth?
NEXT STEPS FOR OUR GROUP
- Do we want to gather in an informal way over the summer (consider attending an event, sharing a meal, reading a book together, finding a service project, other ideas)?
- Who is someone you wish could have the same experience you have had in small group?
- What new thing could this small group do to make room for these people to experience small groups?
PRAYER & BENEDICTION
- As you reflect on the past year, spend time praising God for the gifts you have received, the ways you have been nourished, or how you have grown in your relationship with Jesus and one another.
- Close by reading John 1:16: “From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.” Amen.
September 14, 2017
September 17, 2017
September 15, 2017